The dedication of the Vasbinder Fountain should have been a joyous occasion. Siblings, David and Jane Vasbinder, gave the fountain to the city and in the speech given by Henry Hedges, he thanked them for sharing their good fortune with the people of Mansfield. Col. B. Burns accepted the fountain on behalf of the city saying: “This beautiful fountain, now complete in all its parts, has been delivered into the care and custody of the city by the generous donors, and what more appropriate gift could these worthy citizens have donated to our people? And who, of all those who may look upon it through the years to come, as the pure, cool, refreshing water is distilled through it in jets and sprays, will not feel a commendable pride in speaking of the generous donors.” Unfortunately a darkness hung over the proceedings because on July 2, 1881 at 9:30 am, President James A. Garfield was shot by Charles Guiteau. Garfield died on September 19, 1881 as a result of the injuries sustained in the assassination attempt.
On December 17, 1958, the fountain was removed when the controversial cut-through was added to central park. The fountain was briefly on the farm of J.V. Pugh near Lucas before it was moved to Malabar Farm. The monument was returned to Central Park in November of 1978 and water once again flowed through the fountain in June of 1979. It was dedicated on July 4, 1979. The fountain has had renovations and repairs in the 50 years since it has been returned to Central Park, including a $9,000 makeover in 2007. The fountain was rededicated on July 30, 2007.